What is Move Bunkie Forward?
Move Bunkie Forward is a project funded through a Healthy Behaviors Program Grant from The Rapides Foundation. The Healthy Behaviors Program Grant funds projects which have a focus on healthy eating, active living, or prevention of tobacco use, substance or alcohol abuse. To learn more about grant funding form The Rapides Foundation, visit www. rapidesfoundation.org, and click on "Grants."
Move Bunkie Forward has 4 Main Goals:
- To create a community partnership to encourage physical activity, healthy eating and tobacco free policies.
- Increase physical activity opportunities and active places for the residents of Bunkie and surrounding area.
- To establish and sustain an environment supportive of healthy eating.
- To create and sustain a tobacco free community
Plans include repairing and improving existing playgrounds, creating new play alternatives, implementing a schedule of community based physical activities, hosting educational inservices, promoting a “Smart Buys” healthy choice campaign, holding regularly scheduled farmers markets, creating community gardening opportunities, and developing a new biking program to name just a few!!
Events and Activities:
- Strength Training Classes- Mondays @ 5:15 pm and Wednesdays @ 10:00 am in The Haas Auditorium (classroom next to tennis court)
- Yoga – Saturdays @ 10:00 am in the Haas Auditorium (classroom next to tennis court)
- Walking Group - Every Tuesday & Thursday @ 7:15am ( Haas Walking Track)
- Little C.H.E.F.'s Moving Forward Camp July 25-29 9am-12noon ( ages 5-12).-Bunkie City Hall Annex. For more information call 318-359-0576 or email movebunkie @gmail.com.
For additional information, please feel free to contact:
Shannon Descant, Move Bunkie Forward Director
318-346-7654 x 303 or 318-359-0576